Wednesday 18 January 2012

In the news...

Whilst doing my usual procrastination when I should be doing uni work I came across this article which I found quite interesting.

It details the writer's (Kate Shapland) 'Worst Beauty Products and Trends from 2011'
(can be found here)

She lists her top 10 as follows:


  1. Nail art - i.e. the magnetic and crackle colours that have been flying off stocked shelves throughout the year
  2. Out of control claims of companies that consider their creations to be 'wonder products' without much evidence to back it up with
  3. Unregulated salon treatments
  4. False nails (particularly Z-lister brands)
  5. False eyelashes (as above)
  6. Fake tan (and again!)
  7. Statement surgery
  8. Hair extensions (see 4,5,6....)
  9. The 'Scouse brow'
  10. The 'Buy me, I'm new' mentality

I was quite amused when reading the article, as I agree with the majority. Celebrities or the latest individual cashing in on their failing 5 minutes of fame by bringing out beauty products left right and centre of doubtful quality and sky high prices are getting to a ridiculous level.

The amount of fake nails, fake eyelashes and fake tan on the market is extensive without the celebrities own endorsed ranges. It can be hard to keep up. 

I never use fake nails as luckily I don't need them.
The ones I have seem to be strong enough after a few coats to grow to the lengths that I can cope with having so with regards to this I don't have much experience. However even I can see the difference in quality between products on the shelves.

I am a big fan of Eylure eyelashes and even experimented with some of their underlashes before Christmas, which gave me a Twiggy-esque style look. I'm glad I kept the rest of my make up plain though as I would have looked rather overdone otherwise!



My favourite eyelashes have to be the MAC ones, I've only tried one style but they've lasted over 5 uses and are still in great shape! Quality does exist, and it's normally pretty obvious which will look better and last longer.

As for fake tan, I keep to my Dove for most of the days as it's a great moisturiser too. When I do fake tan for a night out, I prefer to use St Tropez as it really really is the best.



I never believed anyone when they said it before, but it genuinely beats everything else I've ever tried! And as a girl from Wales where it rains surely 90% of the year leaving me with skin almost blue, a tan that works without making me orange and leaving me streaky that counts for a lot!

The same goes for hair extensions. Whilst writing this I am constantly thinking of Lauren Goodger and Lauren Pope from tv show The Only Way is Essex. I love watching the show but I am dubious about the quality and future success of their side ventures of fake tan and hair extensions (respectively). 

I've heard good and bad about both and there are many other examples, but surely for them a profit and cashing in on their current celebrity status is what they're after?



(Good on them too, I'd milk the cash cow as much as I could as well if I was in their shoes, but lasting success of the current 'celebrity' is normally doubtful and even more so with lower quality products)

As for the rest, the Scouse brow is neither here nor there for me. 
I have white skin and almost black hair. My eyebrows as a result are patchy so require some filling in which granted may have been heavier lately due to the draw of the 'Scouse brow' but brows define the face so extra definition isn't too bizarre.

With regards to out of control claims, unregulated salon treatments and statement surgeries, I think the writer is 100% correct. Regulations need to be in place for all kinds of treatments and adverts, which directly link to surgeries being more of a statement than an actual need. The media has a lot to answer for!

The crackle and magnetic nail effects are something that I have embraced with enthusiasm considering the plethora of effects you can create, as being 'unique' and standing out seems to be the done thing.



However I do agree that having every single crackle and magnetic effect needn't be in absolutely every colour of the rainbow for it to look good, companies are clearly cashing in on this too!

The last point was the 'buy me I'm new' mentality which I'm going to admit probably plagued my life last year. Trying every new product on the market was my mission, yet if they were so great, why do I still use the same moisturiser, the same foundation, the same hair products as before??

What do you think about her points?

Would you have any more to add?

L xxx
SHARE:
© The CSI Girls. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig