Monday 30 October 2017

Travelling Croatia - Dubrovnik


Good morning!!

I have some fabulous pictures to share with you today and I'm just too excited. I've been sharing my travel tips for various places in Croatia the last few weeks and have another today, this time about Dubrovnik. I wasn't sure what to think about this city as I hadn't really had chance to look it up beforehand, I just knew it was going to be full of sea views and orange roof tops and I was not wrong!


I arrived into the harbour on a yacht as the final destination on my sailing holiday along the Dalmatian Coast. I will have a post on the sailing holiday soon but couldn't wait to share my thoughts on Dubrovnik first. We arrived in the evening after a storm and the views were stunning, beautiful skies, crystal clear waters and the evening was warm.

Travelling Croatia - Dubrovnik

Travelling Croatia - Dubrovnik

We took a taxi straight to the centre so we didn't miss any time, the evening was pretty clear with a few short showers so wandering around the city was beautiful. Everything was lit up and the floors were reflecting this as they were so shiny with the rain, when places are this beautiful the photos need no editing at all!

Travelling Croatia - Dubrovnik

Travelling Croatia - Dubrovnik

Of course I had to take a panoramic of the main square in the walled old town. It was a beautiful place to wander around, and the side streets are full of so many local restaurants and bars that are full of amazing menus. We only had one evening but there were so many places I wanted to go into!

You can see how stunning the city is even with the rain!

Travelling Croatia - Dubrovnik




Travelling Croatia - Dubrovnik

The next day was the only full day we had available, and we all had to leave around 3pm for flights so we left our bags in a hotel room and went straight for the wall. The wall costs 150 kuna (~£16) but this is really worth it for the best views of the city, the sea and everything in between. It's the best thing to do when you're on a tight timescale and want to see as much as possible!

Travelling Croatia - Dubrovnik

Travelling Croatia - Dubrovnik

Although I would recommend going as early as possible to avoid the queues, it's a busy attraction and the more people on it the harder it is to see things and get passed so the wall becomes a huge queue that moves very slowly and is much less enjoyable, especially in the heat!

There are a few cafes/bars along the way offering food and drinks (including ice cream!) so you can take your time if you have it and I would recommend doing this if you can.

Travelling Croatia - Dubrovnik

Travelling Croatia - Dubrovnik

Travelling Croatia - Dubrovnik

The photos speak for themselves and it was truly one of the most amazing things I've done so far in my life.

I even picked up an ice cream here instead of having lunch and it was one of the best ice cream I have had EVER! The chocolate flavour was so food and the pistachio was really tasty!

Travelling Croatia - Dubrovnik

If I was to go back again I would definitely make sure to go out on the kayaks. The view of the city from the sea is beautiful and we were lucky enough to see it from the water on our way in, but from a kayak would be even better! I love doing active things like this and I being on a timescale means I had to miss them but I'd recommend doing this if you get the time.

Travelling Croatia - Dubrovnik

Travelling Croatia - Dubrovnik

If you do go along the wall I'd recommend making sure you walk it all. We joined at one of the main entrances and at one point thought about leaving it but continued on and the views were so worth it. The route is one way only so you have to follow it from the point you join it all the way around.

We joined after the Minceta Tower so this was the  last thing we saw before leaving the walls, and it was so worth it! It is slightly elevated and shows the whole of the old town perfectly, the views are amazing!

Travelling Croatia - Dubrovnik

Travelling Croatia - Dubrovnik

There is a small tower with some windows in that mean you can take photos with the best views of the city, I thoroughly recommend it.

Travelling Croatia - Dubrovnik

After that we wandered around the old town having got our bearings. We found the now infamous steps from Game of Thrones, where they walk Cersei Lannister through the streets with the bell of shame. There was actually a tour going on at the time with the only British person on the tour walking down the steps with the bell ringing due to Brexit, which I thought was quite amusing and everyone was enjoying the drama!

Travelling Croatia - Dubrovnik

One of the recommendations we had was to visit Cafe Buza, a cafe/bar right on the outside of the city walls. I could absolutely sit here and sunbathe, read a book and drink cocktails for hours.

Just look at this view:

Travelling Croatia - Dubrovnik

Travelling Croatia - Dubrovnik

Travelling Croatia - Dubrovnik

How much do you want to sit here and never leave???

Travelling Croatia - Dubrovnik

The cafe was quite busy as you can see from the image above, but there was a constant turnover of people having drinks and leaving so you would probably find a table pretty quickly if you're willing to wait a little.


All in all Croatia is a beautiful place and I think Dubrovnik might have been my favourite. You can see my posts on What to do in Split, What to Eat in Split and Plitvice Lakes National Park and decide for yourself which place you would like to visit most!

I still have a few more posts to share with you, wine tasting in the Peljesac region is a particular highlight and I can't wait to tell you more!


Have you been to Croatia? Where was your favourite place? What do you think of the beautiful Old Town in Dubrovnik?


L xxx




SHARE:
© The CSI Girls. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig