Tuesday 17 October 2017

Travelling Croatia - Plitvice Lakes


Hi all!

I'm so excited to share these pictures with you, I've been trying to do it for weeks but I wanted to get all the photos just right, so it has taken longer than planned.

I've so far written about Split and what you should eat there, and during my few days before my sailing trip started I managed to get a day trip to Plitvice Lakes National Park and it is STUNNING!


I arranged my trip though Viator, I haven't booked with them before but I was recommended them by lots of people including M. The tour included pick up from Split, travel to and from the park, guided tour of the park and stops for meals so I was comfortable taking this trip by myself.

They picked me up from the waterfront at Split at 6.30am and after a quick stop at Trogir we made our way to the park. This took around 3.5 hours with a stop for food. We were due to get there at 11am and would be walking until 3 so we were advised to eat early or we would have to wait until 3.30 as there wasn't much time to eat.

I actually bought some food from a bakery to take with me (see my post on food in split for more info on these!) And just spread this out so I didn't get too hungry.

Plitvice Lakes National Park

Plitvice Lakes National Park

Plitvice Lakes National Park

On arrival we were given our tickets and the trip began, we would be walking pretty fast with minimal breaks to ensure we saw all 16 lakes over 8km.

The first views when we arrived were stunning, the water was a beautiful blue green colour and the national park was pristine. I was quite excited to see what other beautiful scenery would be on the trip!

The boat trip over was very quick but the water was so clear you could see to the bottom of the lake and all the fish inside.

Plitvice Lakes National Park

Plitvice Lakes National Park

From this point onwards we saw the most beautiful waterfalls and I could have spent hours, days wandering around the park. There were so many beautiful waterfalls, trees, walkways, lakes and general nature I don't think you could ever get bored.

I'll just copy a load of photos below so you can see just how beautiful it is:

Plitvice Lakes National Park

Plitvice Lakes National Park

There were even a few trees starting to turn from green to yellow/orange with the change in season and the colours were beautiful

The pathway itself was interesting too, it was made of wood from the park and really blended in well with the scenery. It was basically an addition without affecting any of the scenery, so it could be removed and it would be like no one was ever there which is exactly what it should be like.
It was a bit grey to start with but soon after arriving the weather got brighter and made the photos and the experience that bit better

I genuinely had such a great day and would love to go back again in autumn time, I reckon the place would be STUNNING and the colours would be second to none. Although to be fair I am a bit obsessed with autumn colours! 

Plitvice Lakes National Park

Plitvice Lakes National Park

As well as walking around some flat areas there were also some hills to climb up and down, the result meant you had some great close up opportunities and also some amazing panoramic views. I felt so lucky to be there on such a beautiful day and took some pictures that matched those I'd seen online so I'm pleased it lived up to expectation.

Plitvice Lakes National Park

And they saved the biggest and best waterfall for last. Here we had some extra time so I played around with my camera a lot, trying to get the 'flowing water' photo that everyone does and I think I managed to get it successfully!

Plitvice Lakes National Park

Plitvice Lakes National Park

It was worse than trying to take a selfie, must have been 50 attempts but I made it in the end!

Plitvice Lakes National Park

The final view from walking back up the hill was stunning!

This trip was 100% worth it and I'd go back again if I could so I could just wander around freely and explore.

The Viator trip was absolutely perfect and I would recommend it to anyone who wanted to go but only had 1 day to go there. It was rushed but as far as I was concerned I wanted to get the most out of my days, if you were on a relaxing holiday you would want to take your time so it maybe isn't for you.

The trip cost around £75 and included everything apart from food so I think this was worth it. The tour guide Peter was absolutely amazing, I do not know how he managed to know so much information about his own country it was really impressive. You could ask him anything about the history of Croatia, Plitvice Lakes, and where to go/what to see and he knew everything.



Have you been to Plitvice Lakes? How beautiful is it???


L xxx

SHARE:
© The CSI Girls. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig