Monday 9 October 2017

What to Eat in Split, Croatia


Morning! 

I recently shared my photos with you from my trip to Split, I have more photos to share from islands and other places in Croatia but had to share my food photos and recommendations too!


As I mentioned in my original post on Split, I ate from many bakeries during my time there. I think I visited 5 bakeries altogether for 2 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 1 evening meal and snacks. The food was so fresh and cheap it was hard to refuse! And there seemed to be a bakery on every corner with something different available.

There were amazing looking pies and pizzas as well as my favourite thing, the wraps.

Travelling Croatia - Split

Travelling Croatia - Split

The wraps are made of a thin piece of bread, almost like a naan bread type consistency but in a huge rectangle. This was filled and rolled into a wrap shown on the top shelf and they were HUGE!

I was up early and on the move every day so these wraps were perfect, I bought a chicken salad one to take with me to Plitvice Lakes and ate it in two halves. There's so many things to see I didn't have time to stop and needed to keep my energy up!

The wraps were around £3 so they were perfect, croissants were 36p so an ideal breakfast on the go too.

Travelling Croatia - Split

The pizzas were around £2 per slice too so you can eat cheaply if you need to.

I was also trying to eat as much local food as possible, so I went to Buffet Fife which was recommended to me by my brother. I ordered the cuttlefish risotto because it was a popular dish, and was a bit surprised when it arrived and was black!

Food with squid ink is popular on the coast so I tucked into it to give it a try.

Travelling Croatia - Split

Travelling Croatia - Split

It was very tasty and well cooked, I was a bit disappointed because it wasn't very warm but it is supposed to be a great restaurant so I'd still recommend going.

As well as this, there is so much fish available you have to try as much as possible. I'd heard the calamari was really good so I treated myself on my last day to calamari and fries and an Aperol spritz - so sophisticated!

Travelling Croatia - Split

Travelling Croatia - Split

The calamari was great and it was a HUGE portion! I couldn't finish it!

They are very generous with portion sizes in Split, one thing I missed about having food by myself is not being able to try multiple meals off the menus! There were so many fish dishes I wanted to try and didn't get around to, I'll just have to go back....


At one point I decided I needed to get some more vitamins in, and I found a booth on the waterfront who made acai bowls. I went back the next morning and chose one with a big variety of fruit and peanut butter and it was exactly what I needed.

Travelling Croatia - Split

Travelling Croatia - Split

It was bright and colourful and full of natural ingredients, so I felt very smug sat eating this looking at the sea in the sunshine.

This was a more expensive meal around £5 but it was amazing, I'd love to go back and have one of the chocolate, banana and nut butter combinations.

Travelling Croatia - Split

Lastly, who can resist an ice cream???

There were so many ice cream parlours (most of them part of the bakeries, a dangerous combination!)

But they had a huge variety of flavours so there's plenty for everyone!


Have you been to Split? Have you tried black risotto and fresh calamari?

If you want to see my photos of what to see in Split you can see the post here! I'll be sharing my photos of Plitvice Lakes National Park next week!


L xxx


SHARE:
© The CSI Girls. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig