Monday 13 January 2014

Book Review: Rona Jaffe, The Best of Everything

As part of my 101 things list (you can find mine and L's lists on the right hand side) I've been wanting to read more and add more variety to my reading. I used to just read James Patterson and not a lot else. On a recent post EssJay from Mission Me Blog suggested doing some book reviews. It's something I've considered but wasn't sure if people would want to read.

When you're stuck in one genre of book I think it's hard to branch out to new types. I hate buying a book I struggle to get into. Lately I've been making myself finish all books I start which can make them more of a chore than reading for enjoyment.

In the summer I won a Benefit competition and this was part of the prize. I was intrigued and wasn't sure I'd enjoy this as it was written in the 1950s. I put it on my shelf for a while and when I moved fished it out to read. Apologies for the tattered appearance, I'm a page folder and spine bender when it comes to books!

Untitled

I need to try and explain this without giving too much away. I'm usually really bad at keeping secrets. Firstly I love this book to read, the pages are thin and the font is the perfect size for me. Anything with tiny tiny font puts me off straight away. The book had me hooked easily though where the follows different peoples stories it is a little jumpy and does require attention at first to understand how all the characters link up.

Untitled

Once I got into it I couldn't put it down. Think a classy sex and the city! I couldn't wait to finish it when I started and find out where the stories led. The book is about a group of girls who live and work in New York. It's set in the early 1950s and was really interesting to read how things were then.

I really enjoyed reading it and would definitely recommend it. It was a great easy read that once you get past the first few chapters you can easily pick it up and continue where you left off. I've enjoyed reading it tucked up in a blanket with a cup of tea but it would equally be a great holiday read.

I really want to read more by Rona Jaffe now. She has a great writing style that was easy to follow.

Hope you've enjoyed my first book review.

Love M

xxx


SHARE:
© The CSI Girls. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig