Saturday 15 December 2012

Review: Maybelline Volume Express Colossal Smoky Eyes Mascara


Today's review is on a product M has been bugging me to buy for ages.

She's been using the Colossal Volume mascara from Maybelline for 4 years now and has been trying to get me to try it but I just haven't got round to it.

I saw this new Smokey Eyes version in Boots the other day so have finally picked it up!



First off I love that it's individually packaged and you know for sure that no one has been sticking their fingers in it and trying it on their own eyes.
M knows me and my sensitive eyes, after 3 months every mascara is in the bin because of the rate of bacteria growth inside the tube and so it's rare that I buy an expensive mascara because I just don't see the benefits.

Make Up

This version of Colossal Volume claims that it also creates a smokey eye effect at the same time as coating your lashes without clumping them together for a sultry eye.
This instantly wins me over!

Make Up

I do love a smokey eye and have just finished working on my dissertation which was on fire and accelerants.
Clearly this was a sign I needed to buy this product with its wispy smoke in the packaging background.... (I'm such a sucker!)

Make Up
Make Up

This mascara goes perfectly with our blog theme, yellow and black CSI style tape ha.
If truth be told I'm not a huge fan of yellow but this is so much easier to find in my bag than darker packaged products!

Make Up

You can see the big brush below and can clearly see how many of your lashes it will grab on the way through.
I find bigger brushes mean fluffier and less clumpy lashes, nobody likes a spider eye!

Make Up

The photos below show the effects of the mascara on my lashes.
I'm lucky enough to have really long lashes, but they're really straight and refuse to curl!

It really does pick up every little lash on the way through!

Make Up

It does also help to curl them slightly, but not much.

You can see the comparison between the left and right eye, without and with the mascara.

Make Up

And with both eyelashes coated.

I actually really like this mascara and although I might be better off with a curling mascara and think this one makes my lashes look great.
It's great for day and night wear and not at one point has it smudged down my face or flaked off, bonus points for Maybelline!

As for the smokey eye effect, I can agree with the more matte effect the mascara leaves behind but it makes no difference in terms of a smokey eye.
However this doesn't bother me in the slightest!

Thumbs up from me, maybe I'll have to listen to M more often.....or just annoy her and not ha!

I'm sure next time she'll sneak it into my basket when were shopping.

What do you think of Maybelline's Colossal Volume? Have you tried it?
Do you listen to recommendations from friends or ignore them?

I'm 50/50 ;)


L xxx
SHARE:
© The CSI Girls. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig