Friday 30 May 2014

Fitness Friday: Houmous



Hey lovelies!

I'v definitely got that Friday feeling today and cannot wait for the weekend to begin! I've been getting into baking recently and I'm a bit of an amateur so have been picking simple things that I eat on a regular basis and trying to make them from scratch by myself rather than buying them in. This saves money and also my body from preservatives, salts, sugars and other unnecessary ingredients.

My latest venture has been to create houmous. I love eating houmous but after a quick chat with a few colleagues the amount of sugar, salt and fats in shop bought houmous surprised me and I vowed to try and make my own. I've also been trying to get more veg as opposed to fruit in my diet and this was the perfect opportunity!

My mum is a slimming world member and showed me this recipe full of simple natural ingredients and I couldn't wait to try it.

021

All you need is a tin of chick peas, a red pepper, 2 cloves of garlic, some lemon juice, salt, water and one calorie spray.

First you need to slice up the pepper and roast it in the oven until it's soft. After slicing it and spraying it with the one cal spray this took about 10/15 mins.

022

032

Look how lush they look! The smell in my kitchen was amazing at this point, it was hard not to tuck into it on its own as i love red peppers!

Whilst they were in the oven I got everything else ready and it's so simple!

027

Just add the chickpeas and crushed garlic into a mixer, along with a tablespoon of lemon juice. I'm a bit of a haphazard cook and I like to just throw things in, so I was a rebel and just squeezed half of a real lemon into the mix and hoped for the best. It was actually perfect so I was pleased it wasn't too much!

025

Once the red pepper has been roasted and cooled down just add it to the mix and give it a whizz...

033

034

You can add water to loosen the mixture to your desired consistency throughout the blending. Don't forget to stop it and scoop everything into the middle and make sure its mixed and blended as much as possible. Then just add salt to taste.

Super easy and create a bigger amount of houmous than you would normally buy in a pot from the supermarket. It actually created more than shown in the bowl below but I'm afraid taste testing purposed meant that I'd taken a fair few spoonfuls of it 'just to check it' by the time I remembered to take a photo....

036

This was seriously yummy and I could honestly never buy shop bought again!

I think I'm going to be more adventurous next time and try adding caramelised onions to the mixture or maybe more lemon. The only thing I'd change about this is possibly only use one clove of garlic and although I love garlic my work colleagues probably won't appreciate me stinking of it all day!


Definitely try this out though! do you have any houmous recipes I can try? What vegetables have you added to it?


L xxx


If you enjoyed reading this post and would like to see more from us, you can do so via the following links!

GFC     BlogLovin'     Twitter     Instagram    
SHARE:
© The CSI Girls. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig